Sunday, June 21, 2009

..Up..up...up we go.....

Saturday I had a really really lazy day! About 6:30pm...Mary called me and asked if I'd like to go for a little walk, and go up the hill behind our houses in search of flowers... I was all about going, but first had to get out of my pjs(yes it was 6:30pm and I was STILL in my pjs--hence the lazy day I was having!) So we planned to meet up in about an hour and go for our short walk. Started looking at the flowers(will post photos soon)...and talking about how it was the "Summer Solstice". Mary said "I've always wanted to hike Mt. Duval at this time of year but never have" and so we decided to hike it that night!
Here's Mt.Duval---from the spot on the hill where there are tons of flowers...(so not from the bottom)... we had to hike up the hill beside it to avoid snow patches, (the snow is uber soft and well you can end up stuck to your waist or kneck if you aren't careful!)


Mary and I took numerous breaks to enjoy the awesome weather, and views...here's a snap from one of the spots.... you can see town in the distance.

At the top of the ridge that we walked to get to the 'main' hill... I was so excited to reach this point...but really it was only about 1/2 of the way up!!

...An Inuksuk on the path...we followed a path when we could...but also made our own path.....


These feet were made for walking....I'm glad I have these hiking shoes, they are awesome! Walking on the tundra is the craziest feeling...its sooooo spongey and bouncy!


..looking back the way we've come....


At the top of another ridge...but not at the top of Duval yet!!




...another Inuksuk on the way up....

...town in the corner, posing with the Inuksuk....

At the top...this is the view I was waiting for!!! Looking at the Pang Pass..... AMAZING!

..me at the top!


Sitting at the top looking out at the town, we made it just before midnight to the top!

...one last shot before we head back down the hill... we ended getting home at 1:30am...pretty good for a 'little' hike!!! I'm glad I made the hike......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Sarah - what an amazing experience! Did you sleep in this morning? :)
Teej

Sarah said...

uh huh... I didn't sleep til about 3am... and totally slept til noon or so... seems like that's my routine on the weekends... stay up UBER late and sleep til noon/1ish!

:)